Healthy Chesapeake is always looking to spur community involvement through volunteering. Our volunteer opportunities are always changing. Check this page for more ways to get involved.
To get involved with Healthy Chesapeake send us an email here!
- Shopping for supplies
- Setting up the cooking school
- Cleaning up and maintaining cooking stations
- Instructing the participants (if he or she has completed the proper training)
Garden 2 Table
Healthy Chesapeake’s Garden2Table initiative helps develop and construct community and production gardens throughout Chesapeake, while simultaneously helping increase access to fresh produce through sponsoring a Mobile Farmer’s Market. These gardens either grow produce for the community members who maintain them or the produce is donated to area shelters and kitchens.
Several opportunities to get involved with the Garden2Table initiative are available.
We need volunteers to:
- Plant new gardens
- Maintain current production and community gardens
- Harvest crops from production gardens
- Deliver produce to shelters and needy residents
- Seasonal opportunities with the Mobile Farmer’s Market are available starting in May
- Driving and set-up
- Marketing and promotion
Life & Health Ambassadors
Healthy Chesapeake is taking a grass roots approach in identifying the needs of the community. We are developing a team of community health gatekeepers responsible for identifying issues in the community and helping develop strategies to address them. Life & Health Ambassadors also encourage community participation in coordinating events and serving as points of contact for community members should they need any of the various services provided the local and federal organizations. Life & Health Ambassadors exist to better your community. That’s why we need your help!
We are currently seeking out new ambassadors and looking for volunteers to help with a variety of tasks like:
- Community program development
- Marketing and promoting events
- Assisting in Ambassador Training events
- Hosting focus groups for various communities
- Healthy Chesapeake marketing and outreach
The SPARK program educates youth and seniors about physical activity and healthy eating.
We need volunteers to:
- Shop for supplies to use in our programs
- Assist in educating the seniors and youth
- Promote SPARK in their community
- Recommend student employees for our student employee program
Thank you to our community partners and volunteers!
We wouldn’t be successful without contributions from people like you. We are blessed to work with many great community partners, organizations, and volunteers including: Chesapeake Regional Medical Center, The American Heart Association, and Virginia Cooperative Extension. If you or your organization would like to get involved in our Coalition or many projects, contact us for more!