National Nutrition Month
March is National Nutrition Month! Below are healthy diet guidelines throughout the lifespan to celebrate National Nutrition Month!
Diets for Infants and Young Children Include:
- Infants should be breastfed exclusively for the first 6 months of their lives.
- After 6 months of age, healthy and nutritionally dense foods should complement breast milk.
- Infants should be breastfed continuously until the age of 2 and beyond.
Diets for Adults Include:
- Legumes (i.e. lentils, beans, etc.)
- Whole Grains
- At least 400 grams or 5 portions of fruits and vegetables in a day.
- Less than 10% of total energy intake from free sugars or 50 grams for someone who has a healthy body weight per day.
- Less than 30% of total energy intake from fats per day.
- Less than 5 grams of salt per day.
For more information, go to http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs394/en/
Information courtesy of the World Health Organization.
Also, check out https://www.choosemyplate.gov for more information about what’s good for you!